Thursday, June 11, 2009

My New Favorite Website

Quick plug: any time you ever want to buy anything, use Consumer Search.

It has consumer reports on just about everything. When Britt and I registered for wedding gifts, I decided to research anything that had a lot of moving parts (e.g. blenders and vacuums) or that I knew nothing about (crock pots, pots and pans, knife sets). In that process I stumbled upon Consumer Search, and I use it for everything now.

It is totally free (unlike Consumer Reports), and I have used it to research tons of kitchen equipment, a gas barbecue, a clothing iron, a vacuum, and today, cell phone companies (not just cell phones- the companies themselves!). So far, I have been thrilled with everything that I have purchased on its recommendation.

It synthesizes reviews from all of the best sources (e. g. Consumer Reports, JD Power, Chef's Magazine, PC World, and whatever else is an important source for the relevant product), then breaks its recommendations down into categories. So when I wanted to buy a vacuum, it told me the best overall vacuum, the best budget vacuum (the category I usually use), the best handheld vacuum, the best bagless vacuum, and the best robotic vacuum. Amazing. It also gives pros and cons for each product (especially helpful when you are trying to figure out why the best budget vacuum isn't as good as the 3x more costly best overall vacuum), links to its sources' full articles right there, tells you which retailers have it at the best prices, and provides a breadown and explanation of what to look for when you purchase a particular product.

On top of all of that, the site is clean and easy to navigate.

So next time you ever need to buy anything, use Consumer Search. It's really, really helpful.

No comments: