Monday, August 10, 2009

"Organic" is a Crock

My suspicions are confirmed: organic is a crock, both nutritionally and environmentally.

Well, I'm not convinced on climate change- not at all. But if it's true, then maybe organics help some. But here's the thing I've always thought was funny: you have to keep pests off of mass produced agricultural products somehow, right?

So my understanding is that farmers who grow "organic" crops indeed do not spray pesticides so that they can retain the "organic" label. What they do instead is introduce pesticides into the plant in the breeding process. I'm no farmer, and I'm not sure how it all works, but it tells you at least this much:

The plant still has pesticide. It's just a different kind, an easy way to charge more at the supermarket.

But maybe I'm a tad cynical...

No comments: