Thursday, October 8, 2009

Five Guys: The "In-N-Out of the East"?

Anyone who knows me knows that I love In-N-Out more than...well, more than most things. If you don't think In-N-Out is that good, you are obviously unreasonable and unable to contribute meaningfully to anything in life. And that's no overstatement.

So I was quite interested when my friend told me that a place called "Five Guys" was near the Guitar Center we were at, and that we should go there for dinner since it is regarded as the "In-N-Out of the East" (I'm assuming that he meant the east coast of the U.S., not the Orient, but I could be wrong). Apparently, it is now trying to become the In-N-Out of Cerritos...

I am always skeptical of wild claims about another company being on par with In-N-Out, but I have to say, I was pretty impressed. My burger came with a toasted bun and was tender and juicy to where my teeth sank right through it. I could get it with A1 Sauce (always good on burgers if you've never tried it) and the fries are, I hate to say it, better than In-N-Out's. Now, for a regular order of fries, a double cheeseburger, and a root beer, I had to pay 10 bucks, which immediately means that as good as it is, Five Guys is certainly not the In-N-Out of anywhere: Britt and I can both eat at In-N-Out for that much.

Still, despite my initial skepticism, I heartily recommend that if you're ever in Cerritos you head down South Street right between Pioneer and Studebaker, and go get a burger. I'll still take In-N-Out first, but I understand the rave reviews of Five Guys.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Oh em gee! It's also the In-n-Out of the South! Trey and I went there and had the same revelation! It's not quite as good but will keep us satisfied out in Texas, far far away from CA, In-n-Out, all our friends...

Jeffrey Bruce said...

And you are objectively correct about In-N-Out. I saw a recent survey of gourmet chefs regarding their favorite fast-food places.

#1 - In-N-Out
#2 - Chipotle.

I'd have to agree.