Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Britt and I are staying at her parents' house in Wheaton, IL for vacation for the week. It snowed for a couple days right when we got here- a fluffy, powdery, dry snow that really is beautiful. So today we decided to go for a walk to enjoy the snow and one another's company, and for me to enjoy the new pipe I got for Christmas.

Thing is, when it's 25 degrees out and you want to go for a walk, you have to do a little extra dressing up. So here's what I wore:

On my head: my new winter trapper hat, which looks kind of like the one in the picture, minus the creepy manican head.

On my upper body: a t-shirt under a thermal under a sweater under a double-layered jacket. Count 'em, five layers.

On my lower body: boxers under my superman fleece pajama pants under my jeans. Superman fleece pajama pants are the new long johns, you know.

On my feet: short, thick songs, under taller, thick wool socks, under more short, thick socks, under beat up brown converse low tops. Note to all those who are spending time in the snow: beat up converse are worthless in that weather. No traction for the ice; no insulation from the snow. My toes froze, even under three pairs of socks.

What's the moral of the story?

It's this: as beautiful as the snow is- and it is beautiful- it is a massive pain in the rear to have to put on 12 items of clothing to take a 30 minute walk. Spending time with my wife and her family is lovely, and my new pipe, for those who wondered, was delightful for its first smoke (didn't have to relight once). But when it's that much work to take a walk on a day that the locals say is "warm" (I'm not kidding- they actually say that), well, you can keep your white Christmas. Like a good friend of mine says: weather is something you visit, not something you live in.

I'll put up a picture as soon as we get home and get the proper cable to move it from camera to computer.

1 comment:

Britt said...

thbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.