Sunday, February 21, 2010

I'm Tired of Being Friends with Wannabe Missionaries

Justin Botz is leaving indefinitely for Cambodia this weekend.  You know what I think?  I think it sucks.

Well, not really.  It's a pretty fantastic opportunity for Botzy and I couldn't be happier for him in that respect.  But it does bring up the larger reality that being friends with people who are set on doing missions is crappy because they inevitably just leave.  Like Kyle and Melody Thibodeau did last weekend.  Here one week, in South Korea the next- and for two years at that.

Soon enough the Kyle and Sarah Fox and Trey and Erin Allen will go do the same, and my reaction to those is quite the same: it's fine that you want to go serve Jesus overseas and all, but what about me?  What about the fact that this means we don't get to hang out while you're there?  Ever think of anyone besides yourselves and Jesus?

Apparently not.

So let it be a lesson to all of you: don't be friends with people who want to do missions.  Eventually they just pick up and leave and it's stupid.

Except for the part where it's awesome, of course.  Y'all better send me a card once in awhile.

4 comments:

Elijah said...

Well Faris, some are called to be overseas missionaries and some are called to be domestic missionaries. I'm just glad that at least you and I can count on being in LA for the rest of ours lives...well at least in two or three years when I come back from Scotland.

justinbotz said...

Remeber when we where sitting outside of the In-n-out (good burgers) and I was talking about wanting to go there and you asked why don't i go now?
Andrew I'm tremendously blessed to by your friend. I love you and I will hopefully be back in the middle of may. also I liked your post on the charismatic movement. God bless you.

justinbotz said...

i miss you to Elijah. (Dr. E.W. Smith.)

Erin said...

This one cracks me up.