Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"A Friend of Mine Inspired that Book"

This morning I was standing in line at Starbucks with my Bible in my hand. The guy in front of me, a black man (which will be relevant in a moment), saw what I was holding and the conversation went something like this:

Guy in Line: "Looks like you have a good book there."
Me: "Yeah..."
GiL, after a brief pause to order his drink: "You know, a friend of mine inspired that book. A good friend. We go way back."
Me: "Yeah..." with a little laugh.

Which yields three thoughts:

(1) If I would've said something like that to someone in line, I would've sounded totally lame. That's why it was relevant that the GiL was black. For some reason black people can just say stuff like that and it is totally cool.

(2) How come I can never think of something better to say in response in those situations? I'll be honest: I had even just rearranged the books in my hand (I also had my journal and Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret) so that when I got to the barista, there was a chance some conversation could go from there. You never know, right? But then the conversation with this guy happens, and all I can come up with is a lame laugh and a "yeah". Not that it would've made a big difference in this particular situation, but still, how come I can't be super clever when I want to be?

(3) Later on, when I had the inevitable, "This is what I should've said" moment, what I thought of was, "Hey, I go way back with him too. He knew me before I was in my mother's womb even."

Lame.

So I guess that makes it a "This is what I'm glad I didn't say" moment.

4 comments:

Erin said...

What's with the other comments? Did you get spammed? Anyway, sucks to draw a blank when you want to be clever. I hate when I do what I do not want to do, and I do not do that which I want to do. I'm sure this is a direct application of the text.

阿袁袁袁袁華 said...

認清問題就等於已經解決了一半的問題。..................................................

張王雅竹欣虹 said...

唯有用熱情、用智慧去觀察事物,這事物才會把他的秘密,洩漏給我們......................................................................

瑰潼 said...

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。........................................